Re: [Nmh-workers] mhshow: unable to convert character set to utf-8, cont

From: norm
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mhshow: unable to convert character set to utf-8, continuing...
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 08:30:21 -0700

Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> writes:
>>Then, is not my original query:
>>
>>      I'm wondering if that message could give more detail. Perhaps, the
>>      number of characters that can't be converted and, if there aren't too
>>      many, their location and description?
>>
>>meaningful?
>
>Yes.  Although ... personally,my gut feeling is that the character conversion
>should silently substitute a replacement character, like pretty much every
>other MUA out there.

What about mhshow allowing me to specify a filter ? Almost always, the 8 bit
characters are easily replaceable by 7 bit characters. If the filter fails,
then mhshow could do what it now does.

> But there is not universal agreement on this.  And
>believe me, if you don't like long explanations, you DON'T want to get
>in the middle of that.
>
>>ANSI_X3.4-1968
>
>This means the character set you've indicated to the operating system that
>you support is US-ASCII only, which explains why you're having a hard
>time viewing anything with 8-bit characters.
>
>I don't want to get into a huge tortured discussion about
>internationaliation settings (because I know how you feel about that), but
>I was under the impression that pretty much all versions of Linux nowadays
>support all sorts of character sets.  You might consider switching character
>sets; it would make dealing with internationalized email much easier.

I don't know how to change locales. "man -k locale" does not suggest anything.
And if I did, I would not know what locale to change to:

'locale --all-locales' gives 735 options. 'locale --charmaps' gives 230
options.

    Norman Shapiro