Re: [Nmh-workers] Message with repeated content

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Message with repeated content
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 09:31:35 -0400

ralph wrote:
 > > this paragraph is cumbersome -- perhaps someone can help simplify it?
 > >
 > >     Profile Lookup
 > >
 > >     Some nmh programs will look in more than just the user's .mh_profile
 > >     for profile entries.  In particular, mhbuild, mhshow, mhstore, and
 > >     mhn will also all look in a file specified by a program-specific
 > >     environment variable (see below), and after that in the
 > >     system-installed profile (/usr/local/nmh.git/etc/mhn.defaults).
 > >     (The mhfixmsg program is similar, but doesn't consult an
 > >     environment variable.)  The first match found for a particular
 > >     component will be used, allowing user-supplied entries to override
 > >     those that are system-supplied.  A profile component with a blank
 > >     value field will "hide" any later occurrences of the component,
 > >     and will make the entry appear to be absent.
 >
 > How about
 >
 >     After .mh_profile,
 >     some programs read an optional profile specified by a
 >     program-specific environment variable,
 >     and then the system-wide profile %etcdir%/mhn.defaults.
 >     These programs are mhbuild, mhshow, mhstore, and mhn.
 >     mhfixmsg is similar, but has no optional profile.
 >
 >     The first occurrence of a component is used,
 >     e.g.\& .mh_profile's trumps $MHSHOW's.
 >     A component with no value still stops further occurrences being used,
 >     but is considered absent.

thank you.  much better.

is '\&' a hard space?  (for some reason i have it my head that
the latin-isms ("i.e.", "e.g.") should always be followed by a comma,
but since i have no idea where i learned that, and i don't think it
was in school, it's probably wrong.)

paul
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 55.9 degrees)