Re: [Nmh-workers] profile lookup

From: hymie
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] profile lookup
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 07:05:05 -0400

Ken Hornstein wrote:
>You're not missing anything.  Pretty much everyone agrees this is backwards.

Good.  That makes me feel a lot bettern.

Oliver Kiddle writes:
>The other way is to store your default entries in a file named
>mhn.defaults in your Mail directory. I've had them there for years
>(roughly since the days when Richard Coleman was working on nmh) and
>had largely forgotten why they were there.

Oooh.  That's exactly what I want to happen.  Thank you very much.

The man page is incorrect.  Can I submit a bug?

>>MH-PROFILE(5)
>>NAME
>>      mh-profile - user profile customization for nmh message handler
>>  Profile Lookup
>>      After consulting .mh_profile, some programs read  an  optional  profile
>>      specified by a program-specific environment variable,

then load the user's ~/Mail/mhn.defaults,

>>                                                            and then the sys-
>>      tem-wide profile /usr/local/nmh/etc/mhn.defaults.  These  programs  are
>>      mhbuild,  mhshow,  mhstore,  and  mhn.  mhfixmsg is similar, but has no
>>      optional profile.

Indeed, it would appear that "show" (for example) only checks the .mh_profile
and neither ~/Mail/mhn.defailts nor /usr/local/nmh/etc/mhn.defaults .
Another bug?  Or intentional?

--hymie!    http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie    address@hidden