Re: [Nmh-workers] Truncated Email.

From: Lyndon Nerenberg
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Truncated Email.
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 15:16:21 -0800

> On Mar 6, 2016, at 2:53 PM, Ralph Corderoy <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> To give them some credit, fcntl(3p) here says there were too many
> existing brain-damaged implementations around for POSIX.1‐2008 to
> deviate.  I guess sometimes they're stuck documenting life.

They were (are) a disingenuous bunch of bastards, when it suits their needs ;-)
 Witness utf8 creeping in at the last second.  And I was part of the "Austin
Group" networking updates mob.  There were shenanigans going on there that I
have thankfully long forgotten.

> Dot-locking FTW!  flock(2) starts off sounding sane on Linux these days,
> but then you get into the NOTES with all the NFS exceptions, and it
> spirals down.  https://manned.org/flock.2

That's not the fault of flock() or lockf().  They define sane interfaces; it's
NFS that's failing here.  You *can* get network locking right – as 9P proved
ages ago.

--lyndon