Re: [Nmh-workers] Maybe time for a new release?

From: Michael Richardson
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Maybe time for a new release?
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2016 08:57:35 -0500

+5 for a new release.

Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> wrote:
    >> No, that's not true. We could decode on inc(1) to UTF-8. Every other
    >> MUA (effectively) does that these days.

    > Sigh.  That doesn't help with image/jpeg, video/mpeg, application/pdf
    > ...  all of those things which are not text.  That's really my point.

Yeah, but today, I can't grep those, and I wind up with false positives in
the base64.  (I claim that any <10 character sequence of ascii will always
appear somewhere in your base64 encoding, rather akin to the expansion of of
pi theories..)

So, it's a win to me.

BTW: when I grep my inbox, it's usually like:
     grep kenh ,?? ,???

because I deleted something yesterday I should have kept...

    >> Yes, I have argued for and against this in the past, specifically
    >> against the crypto-signature-breakage.  But really, what are the odds?
    >> I would rather we decode all the MIME-encoding crap, and wherever
    >> possible, translate text/* to utf-8 according to the charset parameter
    >> indications in the mime part.  This means grep(1) continues to work.

    > I think changing the message store to not be RFC-5322-format files is
    > a) unfriendly (since that's been the assumption by all of the MH/nmh
    > tools and their frontends since forever), and b) will have lots of
    > unintended consequences.  From where I'm sitting it's a poor tradeoff
    > just to make grep(1) work (and saying that grep(1) 'continues' to work

So, my preference is to have the original message in mailbox/1, and the
broken out stuff in mailbox/1.d/p1, etc.
It should be acceptable to have just the 1.d/p1.

]     address@hidden  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [