Re: [nmh-workers] The State of exmh.

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] The State of exmh.
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2018 10:36:12 +0000

Hi Ken,

> Even being on the list ... it's a pain.  Because to access the list
> archives I have to remember my "list password"

Because there's so little value in the Mailman subscription password, I
let Firefox remember them.

> I mean, I don't get it ... why not make them public?  I'm on a number
> of closed lists that require manual approval to join, but the archives
> are still public.

Mailman doesn't allow archives that are both private and public
depending on date.  It could be exmh's list started private and thus
can't be made entirely public because posters historically thought their
prose was semi-private, e.g. Google doesn't see it.  A workaround is to
subscribe the list to a public archiver so Google can see everything
from the switch-over date onwards, as long as the list-info page makes
this clear as otherwise new posters still think it's semi-private.

That's what we had to do on the local Linux User Group Mailman list.
Some of us disliked it being private because it's a resource for Q&A
where we put effort into providing the A.  Others didn't want their old
stuff being exposed.