Re: (Not-so) hypothetical question: What to do about NULs?

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: (Not-so) hypothetical question: What to do about NULs?
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 09:09:22 -0800

I wrote:

> This might not be much of a lift.  m_getfld might handle NULs in bodies,
> and the MIME parser comes close to handling them as well.

m_getfld and the MIME parser do handle NULs.

post(8) doesn't.  I'd like to commit the attached patch.  It uses write(2)
instead of fprintf(3) and fputs(3).  All tests pass with it.  Any objection?

While SMTP servers still might not be able to handle NULs, I don't think
that nmh should block them.

> mhshow has a test-binary that says that it reads a null byte, but it's
> just a space.

That was incorrect.  printf(1) wrote out the NUL.  I'll add a comment to
the test to make that clearer.

David