Re: flist -- "Killed" -- oom (*not* 1.8 related)

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: flist -- "Killed" -- oom (*not* 1.8 related)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 15:42:12 -0500

>> If you run under the debugger, you should stop when you receive the
>> signal from the OOM process.
>
>thanks.  OOM is a pretty strange way to die...

Sigh, I guess I was thinking that ptrace() would be able to catch a
process killed by SIGKILL, but I guess not.

Is there a long delay when you run flist?  Do you have a lot of folders?
Like a huge number?  I see that there are arrays allocated based on the
number of folders you have.  I am just trying to figure out if there is
a number of small allocations or large ones.  You could also disable
OOM completely; I suspect flist will just segfault when it hits the limit.

Oh, wait, I see that using limit/ulimit and setting the "datasize" limit
should cause a SIGSEGV when it hits that limit.  So if you set that below
the OOM limit that should make it easier to debug things.

--Ken