octal-dev

Re: Using OX_WRAPPER machines

From: amep
Subject: Re: Using OX_WRAPPER machines
Date: Tue Mar 13 02:24:02 2001

From: David O'Toole <address@hidden>
Date: 13 Mar 2001 00:58:33 -0500

> > I have been trying use the simplesynth and simplestring machines that
> > were posted on the list. I got them to compile, but they won't load
> > into octal. I added a call to dlerror to get a human readable error
> > message (might be good to add this to the standard code. You think?)
> > and it said "./simplesynth.so: undefined symbol: __builtin_new". It
> > seems to me that the C++ library is probably not being linked in
> > because the main executable is C not C++.
>
> I haven't had any trouble compiling or loading them. I'm not sure what
> the __builtin_new symbol is, or who is looking for it. What command line
> did you use to compile it?

I should given you have all the info I know. I assumed you'd know it
too. __builtin_new is the generic C++ new operator that is builtin to
GNU C++. It's probably being used in the OX_WRAPPERS ox_create() to
allocate the class object that is used.

To compile I used

gcc -g -Wall `gtk-config --cflags` -I. -I../octal/ -I../octal/view
-I../octal/machine -shared simplestring.cc -o simplestring.so

and every variation I could think of (--static, -rdynamic). BTW, as
you probably noticed I'm not compiling them in the octal source
directory, so the -Is point to the includes the machines need.

Ben responded to the post of simplesynth by saying "Cool!" so he must
have got it working. How did you do it, Ben? :-)

-Arthur