octal-dev

Re: porting Octal

From: David O'Toole
Subject: Re: porting Octal
Date: Fri Mar 30 18:12:01 2001

On 30 Mar 2001 15:50:03 +0200, Marco Ballini wrote:

> Your discussion about porting Octal to FreeBSD made me remember that
David O'Toole once wrote about porting to Windows 2000 and my >
intentions of porting the GUI from gtk+ to wxWindows.

The main issues in porting to Windows would be:

1. Using windows threads instead of posix (probably not too bad)
2. Using windows sound API instead of OSS (probably not difficult)
3. The GUI

Based on current trends I expect the GUI to be from 35-50% of the base
system's code size. Especially given all the widget-building things it
does and will be doing, I don't know how easy it would be to translate
all that to another toolkit in another language. That's why I'm hoping
the GTK+/win32 port will become fully stable --- translating the GUI to
another toolkit will probably not be worth it.

Another problem is that two separate GUI projects would require heavy
standardization of all the internal backend API's, and if that happens
it will not be for a while.

Porting to nonunix systems is not a high priority at this point,
although I would like it to happen eventually.

--

@@@ david o'toole
@@@ address@hidden