[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Octave-bug-tracker] [bug #49214] Readline library does not support writ
[Octave-bug-tracker] [bug #49214] Readline library does not support writing to Windows files with "hidden" attribute
Wed, 5 Oct 2016 17:54:01 +0000 (UTC)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:49.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/49.0
Follow-up Comment #26, bug #49214 (project octave):
This bug report has covered two different topics:
* (1) The original issue of Octave not beeing able to use an .octave_hist file
under Windows OS, if this file has the "hidden" file attribute set.
* (2) The idea to solve this issue with a much more general solution: Wanting
that Windows Octave would in general be able to write to files that have the
"hidden" attribute set.
I understand that the much wider topic (2) has been decided to NOT beeing
solved. The reason is that Windows OS in general does not support writing to
such hidden files (it only allows appending to hidden files).
But it IS still possible to fix the original topic (1):
* Windows OS ALLOWS this (comment #21).
* There is also a reasonable PROPOSAL how to fix Octave's behavior (Mike's
comment #23). It would mean that Octave only appends to the history file
during its shutdown process (and not writes it entirely new).
* It would be a USEFUL change to Octave (see my original submission).
So my wish persists to re-open this bug report, and to change its title back
to the original topic (1), which CAN (maybe quite easily) be fixed.
Reply to this item at:
Message sent via/by Savannah