Re: fprintf compatibility

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: fprintf compatibility
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 20:28:49 -0500

John W. Eaton wrote:

What do you think about this feature of Matlab?

 >> fprintf ('%s\n', [111; 100; 100]);
 odd

I know that Matlab (originally, anyway, though perhaps not anymore)
stores strings as double precision matrices with a flag set saying to
interpret the numbers as ASCII and print them as strings, etc.  But
the matrix here is not even tagged as a string!

So, should Octave copy this bug^H^H^Hfeature?

Won't this happen already with implicit_num_to_str_ok = 1?

Okay, no it doesn't.

Even if it did, shouldn't it output the following:

I have nothing in particular against implicit char->num/num->char, but I also don't
mind putting setstr() around the matrices.  I'm a little disappointed that
sprintf('%s\n',['o';'d';'d']) doesn't print a column though.

- Paul