Re: improved compatibility

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: improved compatibility
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 21:20:32 -0400

John W. Eaton wrote:

So far, we only have a few variables that control some common
warnings.  Maybe we need a better way of registering them so they can
be controlled without having to add individual variables for each one.
The mechanism would need to work for warnings that are found .m files
too.  Matlab apparently already has this by allowing

 warning ('message_id', 'message');

to register 'message_id' string with the warning handler so individial
warnings can be turned off using the message id:

 warning ('off', 'message_id')

Implementing this will require a bit of work, but it should not be too
difficult.  If we do it, then perhaps we should then eliminate all the
individual warn_* variables.

Okay, but we may still want to save-set-restore
the warning value inside a script that would
produce a warning in the usual case.  The easiest
solution is to have warning(value, id) return the
previous value.  That gives us the equivalent of
what we've got now, so I don't see it reducing
the use of unwind_protect blocks in our code.

Maybe if we could shut off warnings just for
the current function?

Sometimes I implement the equivalent of
warning('once','message_id') when I only
want one warning during the session.

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden