Octave GUI (was: Shared memory interface to Octave)

From: N Smethurst
Subject: Octave GUI (was: Shared memory interface to Octave)
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:11:57 +0100

Le Lundi 10 Novembre 2003 20:40,  a écrit :
> Nick,
>    My thoughts were to use a plain QT implementation.  This way, it would
> port to most *nixes and windows.  I don't think the KDE API has a whole lot
> more to offer in terms of what I would like to do.

I kind of agree with this strangely enough. To explain what I mean, the main
reason that I am developing a KDE application and not a plain QT one is
because the KDE community forms a good base within which one can develop, and
the framework of applications are very well integrated. If I were to develop
a QT only application, this type of support would not exist in the same way.

However, it has always been the plan to ensure that KV can be compiled as a QT
only application aswell as a full KDE app. To do so would be quite simple.
The only things that are specific to KDE in my visualisation app are locale,
config, and the network transparency file utitilies. These and any other KDE
classes could could drop down to the QT versions very easily using compiler
directives and a small amount of code. I figured that the hassle of doing
this would be very minor compared to the loss of not developing within the
KDE community.

> I will also
> be doing up some use case diagrams to delineate the capabilities of the GUI
> and the comm interface.  I would be interested in having someone else look
> them over and comment before I begin more detailed UML diagrams and
> implementation.

Keep me informed on this as I'd be interested in taking a look when you're
done.

A thought: It might be a good idea to continue this discussion on the
octave-graphics list instead of the maintainers one.

Nic