Re: Shared memory interface to Octave

From: N Smethurst
Subject: Re: Shared memory interface to Octave
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:06:12 +0100

Le Mardi 11 Novembre 2003 02:51, address@hidden a écrit :
> The trick with any sophisticated scientific visualiser is that the
> user will want to be able to interact with the graph and send
> information back to the calling program.  For example, a
> collegue is writing a peak fitting module.   He wants
> to be able to click on the curve at half max and drag the
> mouse to the peak, resulting in an approximate gaussian
> which he can then refine either by clicking and dragging the
> center and height or the middle and width.  If necessary,
> he wants to use an optimizer to get a more precise fit and
> an estimate of the uncertainty in the peak parameters.
>
> The user should also have available a wide array of user interface
> widgets, so that for example he can write things like the
> matlab auditory demo to help his students understand
> speech processing:

One advantage of using VTK in KVisualiser is the set of ready made interactive
3D widgets provided, so there is the idea of integrating them into KV in
order to provide the functionality you described.

This is definitely something I will need to think about when the basic
structure of KV is complete (I guess in the first half of next year unless
someone else starts work on it before me).

Nic