Re: Documentation for dynamically loadable types?

From: pkienzle
Subject: Re: Documentation for dynamically loadable types?
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 08:56:30 -0000

On 13 Nov 2003 at 12:29, N Smethurst wrote:

> Hi all
>
> This is related to a message I posted to the octave-graphics list:
>
> Is there any documentation explaining how to create dynamically loadable
> types
> in Octave? I didn't find much info on this subject, but I haven't looked for
> some months.

I wonder if we should make a handle base class
which can be shared by things like files and
graphical objects.  The base class should support
array operations and direct access to handle fields
via the structure dereference operator "."  Set/get
functions can be implemented using h.('prop')
form of dereference.  So long as concatenation [g,h]
and indexing h(i) are supported, this should be
compatible with matlab's opaque handles (for the
current release anyhow ;-) while being more
convenient to use.

The next step would be to allow user defined
handles with properties controlled from m-files
rather than oct-files.

As for help defining new types, the octave examples directory
includes an example of defining a new integer and octave-forge
includes definitions for five new types.  The simplist is a
triangular matrix type defined in extra/linear-algebra/ov-re-tri.h.
The others are in main/comm, main/symbolic, main/sparse,
and main/miscellaneous/dispatch.cc.  Plus you can see how
types are defined in the octave code, which you will need to
understand structure dereferencing anyway.

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden