Re: restructuring load-save

From: JD Cole
Subject: Re: restructuring load-save
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 23:42:19 -0800

Finally, it would be nice to provide a separate library for reading
and writing the mat5 and octave-binary file types that could be used
outside of Octave.
Paul and I were recently discussing this in two contexts: (1) as you state, a library which is somewhat separable from Octave to allow other applications to access Octave data, and (2) interprocess communication. Let me elaborate, I will use my distributed Octave work as an example.

In order transport data between computational nodes, I use some of Octave's internal functions to convert octave types to a binary stream, send the stream, then convert back to Octave type(s). Other attempts at parallel octave implementation have taken a similar path. Such functionality, I imagine, is also useful for other applications such as the recent discussion about Octave front-ends. In these context's it is important that such load/save functionality be availble to both applications. This brought to mind two issues (1) licensing, such a library should probably fall under a LGPL type license and (2) such functionality should be, ideally, somewhat optimized to reduce the aggregation/de-aggregation times.

Any thoughts?

JD