FFTW 3.x in Octave ( Was: Re: [Fwd: Re: rfftw slower than fftw for "bad"

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: FFTW 3.x in Octave ( Was: Re: [Fwd: Re: rfftw slower than fftw for "bad" size arrays])
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 12:57:28 -0700

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 29-Jan-2004, Dmitri A. Sergatskov <address@hidden> wrote:

| > Shouldn't we be using the latest version, if possible?
| > fftw.  If it is possible to avoid that, then we probably should.  I
| | It may or may not be related to http://fftw.org/faq/section3.html#leaks | | <<<<
|    Question 3.15. FFTW seems to have a memory leak.
|    After you create a plan, FFTW caches the information required to quickly
|    recreate the plan. (See Q3.8 `Can I save FFTW's plans?') It also maintains
|    a small amount of other persistent memory. You can deallocate all of FFTW's
|    internally allocated memory, if you wish, by calling fftw_cleanup(), as
|    documented in the manual.
|  >>>>

I was thinking there was someone who reported a bug related to the
16-byte alignment requirement and who told me that I should switch to
using fftw_malloc for all of Octave, but I said that wasn't possible.

jwe

Well, according to
http://www.fftw.org/fftw3_doc/SIMD-alignment-and-fftw_malloc.html#SIMD%20alignment%20and%20fftw_malloc

<<<<
  You are not _required_ to use fftw_malloc. You can allocate your data in any
way that you like,
  from malloc to new (in C++) to a static array declaration. If the array
happens not to be
  properly aligned, FFTW will not use the SIMD extensions.

Since fftw probably not the only package which would benefit from SIMD, I
assume g++ people
has some pressure to make "new" to do proper alignement...
But except performance issue there is no requirement to do it everywhere.

Sincerely,

Dmitri.