Working patch for FFTW 3.0.x and Nd FFT's

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Working patch for FFTW 3.0.x and Nd FFT's
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:27:34 -0600

On 16-Feb-2004, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:

| Given all of the testing I've given the code, I now consider this
| patch ready for inclusion into 2.1.54....

OK, I would like to apply the patch, but after a quick look at the
code, I have a couple of comments and questions.

In several places, you are using const_cast to cast away const.  Why
is this necessary?  Does the FFTW code really modify its argument, or
is it simply missing const qualifiers.  If the former, then I think we
need to find a way to avoid requiring the cast, otherwise this could
do the wrong thing when mixed with Octave's reference counting.  If it
is the latter, then I think we should ask the FFTW maintainers to add
the const qualifiers.

Thanks for being careful to include OCTAVE_QUIT in most loops so that
Octave can be interrupted when these calculations are happening.  I
did notice that the function convert_packcomplex_1d and
convert_packcomplex_Nd contain loops and do not use OCTAVE_QUIT.  Is
that intentional?  Is that code so simple that it can never run for a
long time, even if a user accidentally passes in a very large array?