Re: Working patch for FFTW 3.0.x and Nd FFT's

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Working patch for FFTW 3.0.x and Nd FFT's
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:00:03 -0600

On 17-Feb-2004, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:

| According to John W. Eaton <address@hidden> (on 02/17/04):
| > I'm not sure of the best locations for them since I don't know the
| > typical sizes of the data.  Should they always go inside the innermost
| > loops?
|
| I'd rather they not go in the inner most loop. But the problem is what
| happens in a case like "a = rand(2^20,1); fft(a)" which will call
| convert_packcomplex_1d and will only call the outer loop once, but
| the inner one "2^20 / 2 - 1" times. So, now that I think about it, I
| really don't know either. It depends really on what data is handed to
| them.
|
| The fact is that these two routines occupy a minor proportion of the
| time relative to the FFTW code itself. So a compromise might be to
| just have a single call to OCTAVE_QUIT at the top of
| convert_packcomplex_1d and convert_packcomplex_Nd.

OK, I added calls to OCTAVE_QUIT at the beginning and end of each of
these functions and in the Nd code, I also added calls to OCTAVE_QUIT
in between each set of loops.  Perhaps that will be enough to keep
Octave from being too sluggish to respond if an interrupt happens to
occur while one of these functions is running.

Thanks,