Re: ANN: LAPACK and ScaLAPACK new functionality survey

From: Etienne Grossmann
Subject: Re: ANN: LAPACK and ScaLAPACK new functionality survey
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 09:50:22 -0400

  Hi all,

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 09:55:56PM -0400, Paul Kienzle wrote:
# The only candidates that leap to mind are matrix sqrt, exp and log for
# which

to my mind leaped incremental SVD. I.e. update the SVD (or part
thereof) of a matrix after adding/removing rows/columns.

# there are accurate algorithms which are not built upon diagonalization.
# There are also candidates in control systems, such as the discrete
# Lyapunov
# solver  (a x a' - x + b = 0), which has a loop, but I don't know how
# broadly
# useful it is.  Anyone care to put forward an argument for any of these?

  It could be worth it. I am quite ignorant of how Octave is affected
by LAPACK, though. John?

# I'm assuming that sparse methods are beyond the scope of LAPACK.

  Yes, but, from the lapack page http://www.netlib.org/scalapack/,
sparse seems to be within the scope of ScaLAPACK :

The ScaLAPACK project [snip] comprised four components:

    * dense and band matrix software (ScaLAPACK)
    * large sparse eigenvalue software (PARPACK and ARPACK)
    * sparse direct systems software (CAPSS and MFACT)
    * preconditioners for large sparse iterative solvers (ParPre)

[snip]

  Just my 2c,

  Etienne

# And fft, filtering, convolution, optimization, special functions,
# sorting,
# random number generation, quadrature, interpolation, ...
#
# Paul Kienzle
# address@hidden
#