Re: ACM PDE Code GNU Compliant?

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: ACM PDE Code GNU Compliant?
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 23:32:38 +0200

John W. Eaton a écrit :

On 13-May-2005, John Weatherwax wrote:

|     1)  Would this be helpful?

Yes, it would likely be useful to have PDE software for Octave.

| 2) Could I use the ACM FORTRAN code (pdecol.f) in octave, i.e. is it | GNU compliant? I am attaching a link to the ACM software copyright and | license information...I'm not very good at reading these things. | | http://www.acm.org/pubs/copyright_policy/softwareCRnotice.html

This license is not compatible with the GPL because it restricts the
use of the software to non-commercial/academic purposes only.

| I think the BLAS algorithms originally appeared in ACM TOMS so I am | hoping that this will be alright.

I don't think the BLAS was ever covered by this license.

jwe
The presence of an ACM license is not necessarily a problem as the ownership of the code remains with the author, and they can release the code to you under a different license.. So if you like the code, try contacting the author and see if they will release it to you under the GPL.

Cheers
David