Re: Successful compilation with MinGW

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Successful compilation with MinGW
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 18:13:37 -0700

This is a little off topic since you are talking about Octave without Cygwin, but I have been working on an Octave GUI for the past year or so. I only get about an hour or two a week to work on it, but am slowly making progress. It requires Cygwin + Xwindows + various GTK packages from cygwin-ports (for Windows), but also runs on OSX and Linux. I have a rudimentary editor with Octave syntax highlighting implemented with the GtkSourceView widget. For the gnome people out there, it is the same widget used for gedit. My next step is to integrate the source editor with the Octave debugging underpinnings. You can see a screenshot of the UI portion at
http://swenmac.homeip.net:8080/OctaveUI.png
The panels on the left are implemented with the widgets used in Gimp, such that they can be tabbed together, detached completely, or docked in various orders. I have a friend who is setting up a Subversion repository and Trac wiki for me. Once I have that done and a little more debugging, I will post a link to the sources to the list.

I do have one Octave under MingW question. Is there any big advantage to running Octave under MingW rather than just with Cygwin?

John