Re: octave gui & mingw

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: octave gui & mingw
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 11:32:22 -0500

On  9-Feb-2006, Sebastien Loisel wrote:

| I want:
| * To edit code in this GUI/IDE.
| * To interact with the octave prompt in this GUI/IDE.
| * To view plot, zoom, change axes, do animations (viz.
| set(gcf,'DoubleBuffer','on')) and so on.
| * To export my plots to EPS for inclusion in my papers.
| * To plot 2d and 3d.
| * To have rich figure handling like subplot, axes and more generally the set
| command.

These seem to be two separate projects (GUI and plotting), both of
which are large jobs.

For some ideas about how to hook up plotting to Octave in a different
way so that we are not committed to one particular rendering engine,
you might check out the various threads on handle graphics in Octave.
I think one of the most recent threads was in 2005 on this list.  The
subject was "handle grapics with Document/View design".  The following
posting includes a link to some code I wrote that will give you an
idea of what I have in mind: