Re: Octave MinGW yet?

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: Octave MinGW yet?
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 16:26:05 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, David Bateman wrote:

You also have to understand who my target audience for this thing is. Basically, its people like Sebastien who'd like to put an IDE on it. At least this is the primary audience in the first instance.

I know that it's your first audience, but I'm also relatively sure that if you put it together it won't be the major audience.

Finally, hey guys disk is cheap.. Why penalize the user with reduced functionality when you don't have to...

I don't think that the penalty is for disk space I think it's bandwidth and download times. My guess is that most users have a few extra GB sitting around but a 500MB download (let's say even 200-300MB when it's compressed) can take a long time, and I recall someone who couldn't work with CVS well because it is so bandwidth intensive and that would cost him more than he could afford. And for regular DSL at 50 KBps that could take 1.5 hours to download.

Bill

--
"If Al Gore invented the Internet, I invented spell check." -- Dan Quayle