XML tools for Octave: XML4MAT

From: Alois Schloegl
Subject: XML tools for Octave: XML4MAT
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 19:00:20 +0200

First the good news:

There is now a possiblity to read a general XML file. Thanks to Paul for patching XML4MAT and David for MAT2CELL.CC and REGEXPREP.CC
If you wants to give it a try: you need
- need the latest octave (with mat2cell and regexprep)
- the patched version XML4MAT I make this is temporarily available at http://hci.tugraz.at/schloegl/biosig/xml/XML4MATv21.zip

An XML-file can be loaded with the command XML2CELL. Paul tested it on Octave, I did the test on Matlab.

The good think is, it converts the XML file into one big variable; so no complex API's are needed.

The bad news are:
(i) there is a 'recursion level exceeded' error in Octave, when a large XML file is used. This is a roadblock. . ( We were using this file http://hci.tugraz.at/schloegl/biosig/xml/Exa01.xml )

(ii) a comparison of XML4MAT and XMLTREE takes 80 and 6 seconds, respectively. This shows that there are somewhere some large inefficiencies in the algorithm One reason is perhaps that XML2CELL passes ca. 9 (MBMLING) + 6 (XML2MAT) times through the data; XMLTREE builds a tree and converts that tree into a structure taking 2(?) passes.

(iii) the representation of the output is "not optimal". There is a function "CONSOLIDATE", but it does not work on the test data. This would need some serious work.

(v) I tried to contact the author and co-maintainers of XML4MAT, but did not receive any response.

What do you think?

Alois