Re: how to compile octave 2.9.7 in gfortran?

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: how to compile octave 2.9.7 in gfortran?
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 16:41:00 -0600

on 8/4/06 6:59 AM, Bob Weigel at address@hidden wrote:

> If gfortran doesn't work, search the recent mailing lists for info compiling
> Octave under SuSE 10 with g77.
>
> On Friday 04 August 2006 01:27, frank wang wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> After about ten years, I decided to try Octave again. However on my suse
>> 10.1 box, my gcc is 4.1.0 and I cannot find g77. The only thing I found is
>> gfortran. Can anyone tell me that how can I compile the octave 2.9.7 in
>> gfortran?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Frank

Frank, Bob,

For what it is worth, I have built octave-2.9.7 with gfortran on my G5 Mac
under OS X 10.4.7. To compile with gfortran, I configure octave with

./configure --enable-shared --disable-static F77=gfortran

although you may have to use F77=/usr/local/gfortran, or whatever is
appropriate for your machine.

Beware that, if you want sparse matrix support, there are several new
libraries that must be installed before you build octave. My suggestion
would be to try to configure octave, and then google to find the sites for
the needed libraries. If you ignore the new libraries, octave will build and
continue to function with the old dense matrix routines.

Another Fortran alternative is g95, which I successfully used with
octave-2.1.73. You can get copies of binaries for various machines at
g95.sourceforge.net.

Also, this should probably be posted to the octave help list, because it of
potential use to other octave users, not just developers and maintainers.

Joe