Re: find first and last

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: find first and last
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 09:42:48 +0200

John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 27-Sep-2006, David Bateman wrote:
>
> | John W. Eaton wrote:
> | > Oh, it would also be nice if spfind also handled the N and
> | > "last"/"first" arguments.  So let me register that as a feature
> | > request.
> | >
> | > jwe
> | >

> | What about something like the attached.
>
> If this provides compatibility with Matlab's find function for sparse
> matrices, then I'd say check it in as a replacement for the current
> spfind.  I see that the current version may also return NR and NC.  Is
> there any need to preserve that behavior?
>
> jwe

Yes it seems to be compatible with matlab.

In fact yes there is a need to keep that since some of the scripts that
depend on spfind use that feature, Otherwise I'd need to replace the
spfind by a size and an spfind. Easier just to add the additional arguments.

I'd also like to change the direction of the search for "last" to avoid
cache thrashing, and I see a trivial change to allow it. I'll submit a
patch later, but I think it might be better to split spfind out of sparse.cc

D.