Re: moving toward a 3.0 release

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: moving toward a 3.0 release
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 17:21:13 -0400

On 27-Sep-2006, Søren Hauberg wrote:

| However, English is not my native language, and I
| suspect that's the case for many others on the lists. I think there is a
| need for somebody with native English skills to proof-read everything.
| How has this been handled in the past?

Except for the sections on sparse matrics and using Emacs with Octave,
I wrote most of the current text in the manual.  The "how to report
bugs" section was adapted from the Emacs manual.  So there really
hasn't been much editing of contributed text.

| Another thought. I think that having a monolithic manual isn't the right
| choice for Octave. I think we need several online tutorials that cover
| various aspects of using Octave. These tutorials could then be combined
| with a function reference, which would result in a manual.

Perhaps for the future.  For now, I think I'd rather continue with
more or less the current structure and if that becomes unworkable, we
can split it up.  I expect that we will (eventually, maybe not until
after 3.0) move some parts (statistics distributions and most of the
control functions at least) to separate packages and the documentation
will also move to the packages.  So I think that will reduce the size
significantly.