Re: moving toward a 3.0 release

From: Sebastien Loisel
Subject: Re: moving toward a 3.0 release
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 05:07:58 +0200

I say release 3.0 now, forget this graphics stuff, 3.0 is more important. The "stable" versions of Octave are not very useful to me at this point.

Bill, the project I was working on, Workshop, essentially has the capability you speak of (drawing lines, triangles and text.) It is also very fast. Printing is not yet supported, but I got Christophe Geuzaine to put in the one patch I needed to GL2PS, so creating PostScript graphs by hitting a print button on the plot would have been extremely easy. 3d plots were also not too far off, although I wasn't sure what the interface with Octave was going to look like.

Sebastien Loisel

On 9/28/06, Bill Denney <address@hidden> wrote:
David Bateman wrote:
> So would you be willing to try to write a backend? Do you know of
> someone who would? How long do you estimate the time needed (taking into
> account that this is a volunteer project) to write such a backend? Sorry
> to be direct, but these need to be answered so that John can fix the
> feature freeze date.
At this point, I can't really volunteer to write a backend.  I really
just don't have the time to work on it.

I think that octaviz and octplot would probably work for the backend.
Honestly, I think that finishing the frontend would take about another
20-30 hours for me, and I think that a backend would take another 10
hours for someone else.  I could write an SVG backend, but I don't have
experience writing graphics applications, so I wouldn't want to
volunteer for anything other than that.

That said, for me to try to find 20-30 hours for the frontend and
another 10 for the backend would be very difficult right now.  For
another person to volunteer to do it, if they had a relatively large
amount of free time, it could be done in two-three weeks.

Bill