Re: graphics issues (was: Re: moving toward a 3.0 release)

From: Sebastien Loisel
Subject: Re: graphics issues (was: Re: moving toward a 3.0 release)
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 12:58:54 -0400

If all we expect the back end to do is draw lines and text, then
it seems to me that we have to do a lot of work in Octave to recreate
the things that tools like gnuplot can already do (drawing axes,
automatic placement of tic marcs, drawing different line styles,
hidden line removal, etc.).  That seems like a waste to me.  So is
there a general purpose graphics library that can help with this?

Yes, it's called OpenGL. I haven't done the 3d plot yet (as you might imagine, OpenGL excels at 3D; hidden line removal can be done in a variety of ways in OpenGL) but Workshop has line styles and everything in there. As a matter of fact, Christophe's patch to GL2PS was to properly support stipples for postscript output.

The screenshot http://www.math.mcgill.ca/loisel/octave-workshop/screenshot-windows-0.10.png showcases some of these basic features.

Sebastien Loisel