Re: Second attampt at new octave-forge web site

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: Second attampt at new octave-forge web site
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 17:03:16 -0600

on 10/17/06 4:20 PM, David Bateman at address@hidden wrote:

> Joe Koski wrote:
>> on 10/17/06 1:03 PM, David Bateman at address@hidden wrote:

>>> It should be in untar.m rather than tar.m. However I don't see anything
>>> there that should be the cause of the issue. Perhaps you need the
>>> absolute path to tar. Could you try
>>>
>>> pkg install <path_to_pkg>/image-1.0.0.tar.gz
>>>
>>> and see if it helps... I'm at a loss to explain why you are seeing the
>>> problem like this..
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> David
>>
>> David,
>>
>> First, I tried placing quotes around the package name without success, then
>> I tried the full path to the package.
>>
>> octave:1> pkg install "image-1.0.0.tar.gz"
>> tar: image-1.0.0.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
>> tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
>> warning: implicit conversion from scalar to string
>> error: tar: tar exited with status =
>> octave:1> pkg install
>> /Downloads_and_Updates/octave-forge_packages/image-1.0.0.tar.gz
>> tar: This does not look like a tar archive
>> tar: Skipping to next header
>> tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
>> tar: Read 7212 bytes from
>> /Downloads_and_Updates/octave-forge_packages/image-1.0.0.tar.gz
>> tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
>> warning: implicit conversion from scalar to string
>> error: tar: tar exited with status =
>> octave:1>
>>
>> The second try is interesting. It tried to open something, at least.
>>
>> I then tried
>>
>> untar("/Downloads_and_Updates/octave-forge_packages/image-1.0.0.tar.gz",
>> "/Users/jakoski/octave");
>>
>> and I got the same errors as with pkg and the full path. Therefore the
>> problem is definitely within untar.m.
>>
>> Finally, to see if it is a syntax problem, I tried
>>
>> octave:1> pkg("install","image-1.0.0.tar.gz");
>> tar: image-1.0.0.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
>> tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
>> warning: implicit conversion from scalar to string
>> error: tar: tar exited with status =
>> octave:1>
>>
>> Which is at least consistent.
>>
>> Next?
>>
>> Joe
>>

> And if you type system("which tar") in octave? Where is your tar binary
> coming from? Note in untar the call to tar is "tar -x -v -f %s". Does
> the Mac version of tar require the "-z" flag for gzipped files, or can
> it probe the type without the "-z" flag?
>
> D.
David,

OK, now we're almost making progress. My experience is that on the Mac, tar
is not smart enough to figure out if a file is zipped, hence my -xvzf when I
unpacked the .tar.gz from the command line. That may NOT matter, because the
Mac usually gunzips files automatically during the download process. (For
some installations, VisIt, for example, I've sometimes had to re-gzip files
before their binary installer would work.)

As for which tar is used:

octave:1> system("which tar")
/usr/bin/tar
ans = 0
octave:2> system("which gunzip")
/usr/bin/gunzip
ans = 0

For version information:

jakoski$ tar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.14
This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
You may redistribute it under the terms of the GNU General Public License;
see the file named COPYING for details.
Written by John Gilmore and Jay Fenlason.
Modified to support extended attributes.

Joe-Koskis-Computer:/Downloads_and_Updates/octave-forge_packages jakoski$
gunzip --version
gunzip 1.3.5
(2002-09-30)
CAN-2005-0758 CAN-2005-0988 CAN-2005-1228
Copyright 2002 Free Software Foundation
Copyright 1992-1993 Jean-loup Gailly
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You may redistribute copies of this program
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.
Compilation options:
DIRENT UTIME STDC_HEADERS HAVE_UNISTD_H HAVE_MEMORY_H HAVE_STRING_H
HAVE_LSTAT
Written by Jean-loup Gailly.

(Note the last line of the tar --version output.)

Then, to try the .tar (no gzip) file with pkg

octave:1> pkg install image-1.0.0.tar
tar: image-1.0.0.tar: Cannot open: No such file or directory
warning: implicit conversion from scalar to string
error: tar: tar exited with status =
octave:1> exit

Then I tried from the bash shell prompt, in the same directory, immediately
after exiting octave, and

jakoski$ tar -x -v -f image-1.0.0.tar -C ~/octave

works correctly (the files go to ~/octave), as does,

jakoski$ tar -x -v -f image-1.0.0.tar -C /Users/jakoski/octave

For some reason, untar has trouble with the file name. Have the folks as
Apple helped us again?

Joe