searchable email archive

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: searchable email archive
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 09:58:12 -0500

On 27-Feb-2007, Bob Weigel wrote:

| I converted the octave email archives to mbox format hoping that they
| could be imported into nabble so their search function could be used.
| nabble.com support has been very responsive.  Below is their response
| to an mbox file created by concatanating all of the files in one of
| the subdirectories at http://velveeta.che.wisc.edu/octave/lists.
|
| >I looked at those, but they won't work - the From headers are
| >obfuscated, Message-Id is missing, and References or In-Reply-To are
| >missing so messages cannot be threaded. We need those headers to do an
| >import.
|
| Do these headers exist anywhere?

Yes, I have tar.gz files containing the original messages in mbox
format for all the lists from the beginning of time (1992) to the
point when the lists were moved to mailman.  If you need more recent
messages, you'll have to get them from the mailman archives (those
files have "@" converted to " at " but do have Message-Id, References,
and In-Reply-To fields preserved).  The total size of the compressed
files is about 28MB.