Building a mac app

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Building a mac app
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 12:14:47 -0400

[redirected from address@hidden

On Apr 14, 2007, at 2:26 PM, Thomas Treichl wrote:

How many Mb do all of these additional packages require?

This strongly depends on the dependencies ;o) I cleaned up resp. UnGNUified my Mac this morning so the first thing I deleted was the octave.app. But it was really big (because I simply added the whole TeX environment which has 600MB for its own) - and think it had >1GB. Okay, I do know what sizes you might expect (<100MB) so I try to do my very best.

It looks like gfortran+libgfortran.2.0.0.dylib adds 2.2M uncompressed. I don't know if there are any other dependencies with it.

Unfortunately there is no good solution for gfortran. If we install it, then it will conflict with whatever other gfortran the use has (e.g., from hpc or fink). If we keep it in the app then it will be difficult to use from the normal terminal/build environment. If we link to the static libraries then the oct/mex files will be huge.

The best solution would be for apple to add a fortran download so that everyone has a consistent environment. Anyone want to take up the lobbying effort?

Another thought --- does a bare Mac have enough dev tools that octave can build packages? If users need to install Xcode to download packages from the octave repository then Mac deployment is going to be as awful as Windows.

        - Paul