Re: Acknowledgements in the Manual

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Acknowledgements in the Manual
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:03:21 +0200

John W. Eaton skrev:
On 17-Apr-2007, Søren Hauberg wrote:

| In the Preface of the manual there is a section called | "Acknowledgements". This section contains an autogenerated list of | people who have contributed to Octave. I don't mind seeing my own name | in print, but I think the list of people look so autogenerated that it | should be removed. If it stays in, I think it at least could look a | little less autogenerated by

The list was generated by extracting all the names I could find from
all the ChangeLog entries.  In the past, we had a shorter list of
people and a summary of their contributions.  I'd be happy to go back
to that kind of list, but deciding who has made a contribution
significant enough to be included in the list is not something I
really want to do.
I can understand that. My concern is just that the manual starts in a pretty boring way (a list of names is hardly interesting unless you're on the list). Could the list appear in an appendix instead?

| I think it's great to give thanks to contributors, but perhaps this | list could appear only on the webpage?

I think it should also appear in the manual.  Maybe there is a better
way to format it?  Perhaps in columns using @multitable?
That would properly help quite a bit.

Søren