Re: [OctDev] Java/OpenGL-based graphics package for octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Java/OpenGL-based graphics package for octave
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 16:19:24 -0400

On 23-Apr-2007, Michael Goffioul wrote:

| For instance, a legend in Matlab is a complete independent axes object
| which is a regular child of the figure (you can even set its view to 3D mode),
| while in octave it's a set of properties spread between the axes object and
| the line objects (Matlab does not jave "key", "keypos" or "keylabel"
| properties).

Yes, I cheated on the legend for now because I didn't want to try to
draw the legend with gnuplot.  Eventually, this will need to change so
that the legend is represented in the plot properties as a separate
small plot.  In any case, I'd be happy to consider patches for this
change, but for now it must also work with gnuplot.

| I also agree that there should be a clear separation between the front-end
| and the back-end (the front-end should be "java-free"). However this also
| means that the front-end should be flexible enough for various types of
| back-end and keep the auto-computed things at minimum. For instance,
| in stem, I don't want the front-end to compute the xdata/ydata values and
| create the baseline, I'll do it myself (I insert NaN's between stem lines and
| the baseline is a special object). But all this will become clearer when other
| backends will pops up.

OK, there has recently been some discussion about how stem should be
handled, and I don't think we can really do it correctly until we have
a stemseries object in the property database code in graphics.cc.  If
you understand what exactly a barseries object is supposed to be, it
would be helpful if you could provide some clues about how this should
be implemented.  I also think that this belongs in the front end that
is part of Octave, not seaprately in each backend renderer.