TODO for 3.0 (was: Re: symbol table changes ...)

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: TODO for 3.0 (was: Re: symbol table changes ...)
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 01:41:53 -0400

On  8-Jun-2007, David Bateman wrote:

| * The major point is the plotting chapter really needs to be reworked..
| This was on hold for the question of whether there would be any further
| changes in the plotting code for 3.0 to be resolved.

Yes, I agree that the plotting chapter will need some work.  Also, I
think we need a very visible note at the front of the chapter and in
the release announcement that says that although Octave graphics are
more compatible with Matlab than ever before, Octave currently
supports only a small (though quite useful) subset of the ginormously
large number of properties and features of the Matlab graphics
system.  I'm sure we'll still be bombarded with more "my graphics
don't work like in Matlab, you guys sure are losers if you can't make
it work for me" kinds of messages than anyone here really wants to
see, but at least we can have something to point them to and say "no,
you're the idiot for not reading the manual before you decided to
whine about it here".

Or, we could delay the release until graphics are fully compatible.
But I'm voting for release soon.  That way, I konw there will be
something to look forward to.