Re: bitshift of int8, int16, etc?

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: bitshift of int8, int16, etc?
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 16:40:34 -0500

David Bateman wrote:
Daniel J Sebald wrote:

David Bateman wrote:

This is the standard behavior of an arithmetic shift.. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arithmetic_shift

I looked at that reference yesterday.  OK, good then.

Ok, saturation might make sense. My preference was or an arithmetic
shift as a shift operator that had a clear and documented functionality.

DSP chips often have a control register with a bit to change such
behavior, i.e. wrap or saturate.

Hey I know, I did write a fixed point type :-) ....

Oh, that's right, Motorola.  Got a few books lying around from them...

Do we need to know the overflow of each and every element,

I would think so.  Seems the logical thing to do, if anything.

or just that
an overflow occurred? I'd thought more the second case and then just have

warning ("Octave:bitshift_overflow", "on")

to enable the warning if desired. The fact is that as matlab doesn't
implement this yet, whatever we choose to do will be wrong in any case
and need modifying in the long run. So simple is probably better..

Until then can live wild and free.

Dan