Re: Patch to add axis position property

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Patch to add axis position property
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 19:10:34 -0500

Daniel J Sebald wrote:
On  9-Aug-2007, Peter Gustafson wrote:

| I see a problem (you may see many problems)... If two simultaneous axes
| are created with outer position [0 0 1 1], when plots are made to those
| axes they do not preserve the boundary positions.  Meaning the box in
| which the plot resides changes slightly depending on the labels etc that
| surround it.  So although it would be possible to define two full frame
| axes (one with x1y1, one with x1y2), it would still look bad.  Could
| this be overcome?  Is this why nobody else has done this yet.

That's a problem with gnuplot, but not necessarily with other plotting
libraries that we might use to implement the graphics backend.  I see
the gnuplot backend as a temporary solution, so I don't think it makes
a lot of sense to invest much more effort to extend it.

It's a fixable problem, I suspect.  If you want, you can force the margins and
hence the borders to the same.

set xlabel 'test'
set ylabel 'test'
plot x
set bmargin 3
set lmargin 5
replot

Above, the margin can be specified in other coordinate systems, say "screen".
However, the main idea is that the margins be set the same.

I've always thought of improving the margin behavior.  I guess the nice feature
would be to be able to tie together the margins of multiple plots.  For
example, say the plots are one above the other, i.e., 2 x 1.  It might be nice
to have the auto-margin chosen as the larger of the two margins and be kept the
same for the two.  Could make a feature request.

Dan

PS: Is there some way with the list archives to pull a message and reply as though in the
thread?  You'd think this would be easy, i.e., a "reply to" button on the list
archive page, or in fact simply forward the message to ones own email account and reply
that way.