Re: ismember bugs

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: ismember bugs
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 05:57:19 -0400

On 15-Aug-2007, Søren Hauberg wrote:

| Since the 'cellstr' bug isn't trivial to fix, I just wanted to ask if we
| should work around it in 'ismember'? It wouldn't be hard to check if one
| of the inputs are empty while the other is not. So, I can submit an
| updated patch that works around the 'cellstr' bug if you want. That way
| at least 'ismember' should work correctly. Do you want me to do this?

I think we should start by making things like

  {''}

and

  {char (zeros (2, 0))}

compatible.  I thought it would be simple to do this with the change
that I posted yesterday, but that caused other trouble.  I'm not yet
sure whether the fix I posted was the right thing to do (meaning that
the other bugs should be fixed) or whether compatibility should be
achieved by making a change at some other level (for example, in the
constructor that makes cell arrays from char matrices).