Re: GPLv3

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: GPLv3
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 12:37:42 +0200

John W. Eaton wrote:
> Since Octave is "GNU Octave", the GNU project would like for us to
> switch to GPLv3 for future releases.  Since Octave 3.0 will be coming
> soon (really, this time I mean it) we need to consider this switch
> now.  Of the many dependencies we have, are there any which have
> licenses that are OK with GPLv2 but conflict with GPLv3?  For example,
> any that are "GPLv2 only" (without the "at your option, any later
> version" clause)?  I suppose the first thing to do is make a list of
> all the dependencies.  Do we have one?  If not, it would be useful to
> have anyway.
>
> Thanks,
>
> jwe

The major changes in v3 relative to v2 are the anti DRM, tivoization
clauses and the more explicit licensing of patents implied by the use of
GPL software. The first two don't affect Octave in anyway, the third to
do with patents is more in the way of clarification as I believe v2
offers similar protections but you need to follow a fairly convoluted
piece of legal reasoning to arrive at what is more clearly stated in
v3.. I see no reason not to go to v3 as fundamentally as it related to
Octave it offers exactly the same protection as v2..

D.

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary