Re: octave packages

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: octave packages
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 02:11:10 +0200

Tom Holroyd wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 00:58 +0200, David Bateman wrote:
>> That is what the "pkg load auto" command that is in a PKG_ADD command
>> does. The packages flag their default behavior in the description and
>> those marked "Autoload: yes" are loaded at startup.
>
> I think he meant, when somebody does "apt get octave" or "yum install
> octave" does it automatically download a bunch of packages. Right now
> packages are outside the scope of such systems. There isn't any "yum
> install octave-forge".

I don't think he did, Orion stated ".. installed but not available till
"pkg load" or some such is done"... There is no reason not to have a
meta-package for octave-forge that has the octave-forge packages
themselves as dependencies... See

http://octave.cvs.sourceforge.net/octave/octave-forge/admin/meta_template.in?revision=1.1&view=markup

and what it ends up as in the SRPM build. For example for the nonfree
directory, the spec file below is created.

Name:           octave_forge_nonfree
Version:        20070925
Release:        1%{?distsuffix}
BuildRoot:      %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-root

Requires:  octave_spline-gcvspl = 1.0.2
Requires:  octave_arpack = 1.0.2

BuildArch: noarch

%description
Packages which are not freely modifiable and redistributable
with modifications, or which depend on code which is not
free.  This includes functions which only permit non-commercial
use and functions which must be kept together as a package.
Functions in all other directories must be freely redistributable
with modifications.  Functions in non-free must be freely
redistributable for non-commercial use.  Functions of unknown
license should not be included anywhere, since no license implies
default license implies no rights to redistribute.

%files

%changelog
# Changelog for packages rebuilt on stable releases (leave it first):
%{!?_with_unstable:* %(LC_ALL=C date +"%a %b %d %Y") %{packager}
%{version}-%{release}}
%{!?_with_unstable: - rebuild of %{version}-%{rel}%{?distsuffix} for
%{distversion}}

* Tue Sep 25 2007 The Octave-Forge Community 20070925-1%{?distsuffix}
- Automatically created from octave-forge package