Re: edit.m on msvc octave 2.9.13

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: edit.m on msvc octave 2.9.13
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 11:41:56 +0200

On 9/27/07, Michael Goffioul <address@hidden> wrote:
> That's weird... Even more weird is the fact that line 151 is *not* executed
> under WindowsXP (that's probably why you don't see the result of your
> "disp" command). Indeed, if you look at the "if" statement, (isunix()
> || !ispc())
> is false under WindowsXP. What's actually executed is the "else" clause.
>
> Could you try to following at octave prompt:
>
> system("notepad.exe", [], "async")
> system(sprintf(edit("get","EDITOR"),""), [], "async")
> edit get EDITOR
> edit pkg

I finally reinstalled the existing 2.9.13 package for Windows and found
I had the same problem (at least I could reproduce it and fix it). The
problem is due to the fact that the EDITOR used in edit.m was still
set to emacs (you can check this with "edit get EDITOR"), which
originates in the startup script that uses a wrong order of commands.
This had been already fixed in CVS back in August, you can grab
a fixed startup script at

http://octave.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/octave/octave-forge/admin/Windows/msvc/octaverc.win?revision=1.13

The fact that the problem was "solved", by adding your "1;" dummy
command was most probably due to the fact octave reparsed the
edit.m script (due to the detected change). This re-initialized its
internal persistent variables, leading to correct settings.

Sorry it took me so long to understand the problem... (indeed,
I can't reproduce it on my CVS installation, because I'm using
the fixed startup script).

Michael.