Re: f2c obsolete?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: f2c obsolete?
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 14:50:08 -0400

On 24-Oct-2007, Michael Goffioul wrote:

| On 10/24/07, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
| > On 24-Oct-2007, Michael Goffioul wrote:
| >
| > | This is something that can also be handled in fort77 itself. In the end,
| > | the libf2c I'm using needs that -MD flag, so it make sense to add it
| > | directly in fort77 script. For me it's the same, as long as it works...
| >
| > How does it need it?  In what command?
|
| The -MD flag tells the MS compiler about the C runtime library to use
| (in this case, the DLL version). When you compile different modules and
| try to link them together, you should always use the same runtime lib
| for compiling all modules to avoid weird problems (it's even needed if you
| want to share FILE* streams between modules).
|
| I always use the -MD flag to compile everything (octave and all deps),
| including libf2c. Because the code generated by fort77 is intended to
| be linked with libf2c, fort77 should also use by default the -MD flag.

So is -MD supposed to be passed to the C compiler or the linker?
Either way, it looks like you should be able to use -Wc,-MD or -Wl,-MD
to send the options through fort77 without having to modify the fort77
script itself.

If that works, then the only modification that I see that should be
necessary is the one I posted earlier to make -v print actual verbose
output from the compilers so that fort77 will play nice with the
AC_F77_LIBRARY_LDFLAGS autoconf macro.