Re: Bug in octave/gnuplot surface code?

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Bug in octave/gnuplot surface code?
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 04:36:18 -0600

David Bateman wrote:
Kai,

The sphere function from JHandles is entirely independent of JHandles
itself as as a core function should probably migrate to Octave. However,
I tried it out and got some very strange rendering errors with the
gnuplot x11 terminal, that I believe are an issue in gnuplot, though it
might be sometime in your recently introduced "surface" code.. Could you
try the attached function, just typing "sphere()" to get a default
surface plot. In particular the rendering errors are made very obvious
if you rotate the sphere with the mouse..

If this is a bug either in Octave or gnuplot we are likely to see other
issues with surface plots..

David,

There was an issue in gnuplot not too long ago with hidden lines with
degenerate quadrantles.  For example, a sphere might have some segments near
the poles that are triangular, i.e., two points of the quadrangle are the same.
 That should have been addressed however.  Could you send a PNG screenshot to
me of the plot?

Dan