Re: Reading NI TDMS files

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Reading NI TDMS files
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:18:00 +0100

On 12/18/07, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 18-Dec-2007, Michael Goffioul wrote:
>
> | Would this also apply to an interface distributed in source code form
> | that a user would have to compile and link? (I don't have any example
> | in mind, it's more for my own understanding; and it might have an impact
> | on potential octave applications).
>
> I think the question to ask is, "would this be allowed by the GPL if
> it were distributed as one binary?"  If not, then I would argue that
> using some procedure to sidestep distributing all the parts together
> amounts to the same thing, and would also not be allowed.  You might
> also take a look at the GPL FAQ.

I had a look, but it's still not clear to me. To put it clear, would someone
be allowed to develop and distribute in source form an octave interface to
the NI TDMS DLL's, which are proprietary software?

>From what you say above, it seems the answer is no.

I find this important, because it strongly limit the area of application of
octave and basically prevent anyone to develop an octave package that
is intended to be linked with proprietary software (or more generally
GPL-incompatible), even if it's only distributed in source form.

Michael.