Re: [OctDev] optimized lookup

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: [OctDev] optimized lookup
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:01:11 +0100

Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
> I've added an optimized compiled version of Octave's lookup into main/general
> (main/general/src/lookup.cc). It seems to be faster in almost all
> cases on my computer,
> often much faster in the typical cases (downsampling, scarce lookup).
> Any feedback is welcome.

Jaroslav,

Lookup is an octave core function and so it would be better if the
decision was made to go with a compiled version of lookup to include it
in Octave itself rather than in octave-forge.. Can you tell us what the
improvements are.. Note that comments I've seen in the past about
compiled code is that there should be some justification of why its
better to use it rather than an m-file in terms of how often it is used
and the size of the speed improvement, since the effort in maintaining
C++ code is higher than m-files..

D.

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only