Re: Screenshot/Examples section before 3.0/at all ?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Screenshot/Examples section before 3.0/at all ?
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 03:51:42 -0500

On 16-Dec-2007, Kai Habel wrote:

| I have edited the macros.m4 file and was succeful generating a section for
the sidebar. I have also an initial file for this new section (graphics.in) .
But I need help with the Makefile and the automatic generation of the content.

| I think for each example we could have a script file (e.g. example1.m
attached) with 3 sections.

| 1. Header - This information should be pulled and used as subsection header
at the html site.

| 2. A brief description of the example. This information is also pulled an put
on the html site.

| 3. The actual code.
|
| In the graphics.in file attached I have used __EXAMPLE__TITLE__,
__EXAMPLE__DESCRIPTION__, __EXAMPLE__PNG__ as placeholders for the actual
content.

| So, now we need some logic which reads a list of examples (in the Makefile ?)
and generates the textual and graphic content. I have looked at the Makefile of
the manual, which generates also png files.

| _But too have this working next week I need help!_
|
| Otherwise it will take some time for me to understand the Makefile-logic.
|
| Kai
|
| P.S. I have attached a patch to the macros.m4 file, an initial graphics.in
and two exmples scripts.

Sorry for the long delay in responding to this.

Please take a look at http://www.octave.org/graphics.html (this is not
yet linked in the navigation menu).  Update your copy of the web page
sources from CVS to see the changes I made.

I used svg graphics with png as alternative images (I'm not sure I got
this part right).  Perhaps some web guru could improve the appearance
with some better HTML/CSS.

If you want a description of each plot, I think it could just be added
as an additional argument to the new __GRAPHICS_EXAMPLE__ macro that I
added to macros.m4.