Re: New Plotting Functions: findall.m and allchild.m

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: New Plotting Functions: findall.m and allchild.m
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:25:19 +0100

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Bill Denney <address@hidden> wrote:
> Michael Goffioul wrote:
>  > On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 5:16 AM, Bill Denney <address@hidden> wrote:
>  >

> >> Also, I was trying to write hgsave and hgload, but I could not find a
>  >> way to create a handle without using the plotting functions.  Is there a
>  >> way to generate handle objects without going through the plotting
> functions?
>
> > Each object type has a corresponding "constructor" function: line,
>  > patch, surface...
>  > Each of these functions accepts property/value pairs. Can't you use them to
>  > achieve what you wanna do?
>  Hi Michael,
>
>  That was going to be my fallback method.  I was going to say that the
>  main challenge is that there are some automatically created handles that
>  I would have to detect and remove (for axes: title, xlabel, ylabel,
>  zlabel), but I guess I could just modify them in place.  I'll think more
>  about it and you may see something tonight or tomorrow.
>
>  Is there a list somewhere of the child objects that are stored in
>  properties other than "children" (ones like title, [xyz]label)?

There's no such "official" list. Other examples I know are "baseline"
property of barseries/areaseries/stemseries objects; however this
case is particular as the baseline is not a child of the xxxseries,
but a child of the containing axes. The problem
here is that we're going to a situation where it will be possible to
build objects and add properties dynamically. So you can't assume
there's a fixed list of properties holding child objects.

However, note also that "children" property holds *all* children of an object,
but some of them are hidden; for instance the "children" of an
axes object contains the handle of the title and [xyz]label's, but
you normally don't see them, because they have "handlevisibility"
set to "off". This is however not implemented yet in octave.

Michael