Re: test failures with current mercurial sources (was Re: 3.0.1 release?

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: test failures with current mercurial sources (was Re: 3.0.1 release?)
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 16:37:39 +0200

John W. Eaton wrote:
> On  3-Apr-2008, David Bateman wrote:
>
> | John W. Eaton wrote:
> | > I've added spkron.m and issuperuser.m to the SOURCES lists in the
> | > appropriate Makefile.in files in the default branch, but I don't see
> | > how that can be the solution if you are building from the hg archive.
> | > It would prevent the files from being placed in a distribution tar
> | > file though...
> | >
> | As all of the sparse dispatched functions are gone, should we created
> | deprecated functions from them as well? That is spmax, spmin, splu,
> | spqr, spchol, etc, etc. There are at least 20 of them..
>
> Yes, I think it would be good to do this.

Ok, I'll supply a patch.
> We currently have 86 functions in the scripts/deprecated directory.
> How long should we leave a function there, and when would it be
> reasonable to remove it?  I think 2 releases is long enough.  After
> that, we would tell people to change their code.  For this to work
> without surprising people too much, I think all the deprecated
> functions should include a warning like this
>
>   warning ("Octave:deprecated-function",
>            "OLD-FCN is obsolete and will be removed from Octave VERSION;
> please use NEW-FCN instead");
>
> before doing the real work of the function.  Then at each release we
> should review the deprecated directory and remove the obsolete
> functions.
>
> Does that sound OK?

How do we do this in a way that is called once.. Imagine a deprecated
function in the inner loop of a function that is called 1000s of times.
Is there an existing mechanism to make the warning only appear once
before we come back to the prompt or do we need some like

persistent warned = false;
if (! warned)
  warned = true;
  warning ("Octave:deprecated-function",
     "OLD-FCN is obsolete and will be removed from Octave VERSION;
please use NEW-FCN instead");
endif

I don't consider that its a good idea to have this warning off by
default, and then the warning doesn't serve its purpose.

Regards
David

> jwe

[x] General Business Information